Friends of the Library
About the Friends of the Library
The Friends of the Library supports the academic mission of Washington and Lee University through activities which strengthen the University Library’s collections and services. It encourages consideration of monetary and in-kind contributions, aims to foster closer relations between the library and the community and stimulate the intellectual life of the library users
Benefits for Friends Members
- Invitations to all Friends of the Library events via email
- Subscription to Folios, the library’s annual magazine
- Extended check-out privileges (contact Elizabeth Teaff, Associate University Librarian for Access and Discovery)
- Limited interlibrary loan privileges (contact Elizabeth Teaff)
- Note: All gifts to the Friends are tax-deductible.
The Law Library has also secured alumni access to Hein Online, a database of peer-reviewed journal articles. To access Hein Online, please login to the Friends of the Library page on Colonnade Connections.
Annual Membership Dues
All donations are tax-deductible.
Projects funded by the Friends of the Library
- Forthcoming renovation of the Boatwright Room, the reading/research room for Special Collections & Archives (expected 2024)
- Renovation of the Northen Lobby on level 1 of Leyburn Library: “Light It Up!” campaign (2017-18)
- Perpetual access to the BBC Shakespeare Plays streaming video series
- Leyburn Library patio furniture (2007)
Friends of the Library Board Members
Sam Wilmoth ’09
- Nicole Allaband ’10
- Rebecca Benefiel
- Kirk Follo ’67
- Corey Harmon ’05
- Carrie Holloway ’90
- Janet Ikeda
- Suzanne Keen
- Michael Anne Lynn
- Preston Manning ’52
- Nancy McIntyre
- Lisa Moore
- Tara Patterson ’98
- H. Gilbert Smith ’68
- Theodore Van Leer ’77
- Sally Wiant ’75L
- KT Vaughan, Hal F. and Barbra Buckner Higginbotham University Librarian
- Wendy Rains, FOL Coordinator and University Library Office Manager
Folios: The Magazine of the University Library
The University Library publishes Folios in partnership with University Publications. It is full of stories about the library and its collections. Members of the Friends of the Library will receive a link to the digital magazine.
We hope you will enjoy the 2023 Issue of Folios!
We archive the magazines in our Digital Archive. Browse all Folios.
More Ways to Support the Library
The Friends of the Library help support many programs through membership and special donations.
- Use the online giving form to use a credit card.
- Select “Friends of the Library” in the “Designation” drop-down list
- Use the membership/donation form to use a cheque.
- Contact K.T. Vaughan (email@example.com), Hal F. and Barbra Buckner Higginbotham University Librarian, to discuss significant giving in support of dedicated programs.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE UNIVERSITY LIBRARY!