About the Friends of the Library
The Friends of the Library supports the academic mission of Washington and Lee University through activities which strengthen the University Library’s collections and services. It encourages consideration of monetary and in-kind contributions, aims to foster closer relations between the library and the community and stimulate the intellectual life of the library users.
Light It Up!
In January 2017, the library started the “Light It Up!” campaign to raise funds for the renovation of the lobby area outside of Special Collections. Friends’ members received a mailing about this project, for which alumnus Frank Barron ’52 provided the library with a $50,000 challenge gift.
The library is immensely grateful to our Friends of the Library who have contributed to the campaign and made Phase One — raising money for construction costs – a success. Our eyes are now focused on Phase Two – furnishing the lobby and its adjoining “Conversation Pit.”
Learn more about how you can help us “Light It Up.”
Benefits for Friends Members
- Invitations to all Friends of the Library events via email
- You will receive FOLIOS, the library’s magazine, twice a year
- Extended check-out privileges (contact Elizabeth Teaff, Head of Access Services)
- Limited interlibrary loan privileges (contact Elizabeth Teaff)
- One individualized bookplate dedicated to a person or pet of your choice (with minimum gift of $100)
- For W&L alumni: free access to four Research Databases
- Note: All gifts to the Friends are tax-deductable.
All donations are tax-deductable.
Projects funded by the Friends of the Library
- Renovation of the Northen Lobby on level 1 of Leyburn Library: “Light It Up!” campaign, 2017-18. Partially funded by the Friends. Learn more about “Light It Up.”
- Subscriptions to online reference works, such as the Times Digital Archive, the Sunday Times Digital Archive, Morningstar Investment Research Center, and the McNaughton popular books lease plan.
- Perpetual access to the BBC Shakespeare Plays streaming video series
- Annual subscriptions to Research Databases. The following databases are available to alumni: Academic Search Complete Alumni Edition; Business Source Complete Alumni Edition; JSTOR Alumni database; and Project Muse. NOTE: Alumni need to have a Colonnade Connections login and password set up.
- Library patio furniture (tables, chairs and umbrellas)
Friends of the Library News & Events
Friends of the Library Board Members
Board Members for the 2015-18 Class
- Buddy Atkins
- David Bello
- David Cox
- Richard Teaff
- Mame Warren
- Preston Manning (for a one-year term)
Board Members for the 2016-19 Class
- Maury Hanson
- Roger Jeans
- Yolanda Merrill
- David Peterson
- George Ray
- Jim Slack
Board Members for the 2017-20 Class
- Robert Gill ‘71
- Gerald Malmo ‘79
- Dennis Cross (for a second term)
- Pamela Luecke
- Michelle Treger
- Anne Wilson
- John Tombarge, University Librarian
- Montrose Grandberry, Friends Coordinator
last updated: August 2017
FOLIOS: The Magazine of the University Library
The University Library publishes its magazine FOLIOS twice a year. It is full of stories about the library and its collections. Members of the Friends of the Library will receive a hard copy of the magazine through the mail.
We archive the magazines in our Digital Archive. Browse all FOLIOS.
More Ways to Support the Library
- Mail a check to the Friends of the Library
- Use the online giving form
- Use the membership/donation form
- Support the Adopt a Piece of History preservation program
Checks and donation forms may be sent to:
Friends of the Library
James G. Leyburn Library
Washington and Lee University
204 W. Washington Street
Lexington, VA 24450
For more information, contact Montrose Grandberry, Friends of the Library Coordinator (540-458-8642)