medieval and renaissance studies
Course Research Guides
MRST 395: Renaissance Lives in Film
HISTORY 306: Medieval and Renaissance Political Thought
Major Research Resources
Finding Journal Articles: video tutorial
Iter: Gateway to the Middle Ages and Renaissance (online).
Indexes articles from over 400 journals - as well as books and book reviews.
International Medieval Bibliography. Online
International Medieval Bibliography (1984-1993).
On CD-ROM 15, available at Leyburn Library's circulation desk.
International Medieval Bibliography (1990-present).
In print, call number Z6203.I63 on level 2.
Cetedoc Library of Christian Latin Texts
(aka "Corpus Christianorum" and as "Patrologiae Latinae).
Latin texts with translations in English, French, German, and Italian.
Feminae: Medieval Women and Gender Index
Early English Books Online Contains 125,000 works from between 1473-1700 (full image)
Middle English Compendium. Provided by the University of Michigan
Middle English Dictionary. Part of the Middle English Compendium (U.Michigan)
Dictionary of the Middle Ages. 14 vols.
Encyclopedia of Medieval Literature
Research and Finding Tools
Humanities Research Guide
Links to the Library Catalog, WorldCat, and periodical indexes in the humanities
Listing of journals, magazines, newspapers available at W&L (help page)
Citation style guides and tools : In the Humanities, the most often used bibliographic citation styles are "Chicago/Turabian" and "MLA Style". Also includes a link to "RefWorks", an online bibliographic management tool.
RefWorks : saves lists of citations from databases, and creates notes and bibliographies
Please note: links to sites that our library does not subscribe to may be outdated.
To find the correct URL, please search Google.
DIGITAL IMAGES OF MEDIEVAL MANUSCRIPTS
North American Institutes, Organizations, and Collections
W&L's Medieval and Renaissance Studies Program homepage
- An Analytic bibliography of on-line neo-Latin texts. Part of Philological Museum at U of California, Irvine. Texts composed during and after the Renaissance.
- Aberdeen Bestiary ... The Aberdeen Bestiary (Aberdeen University Library MS 24) is considered to be one of the best examples of its type. The manuscript, written and illuminated in England around 1200, is of added interest since it contains notes, sketches and other evidence of the way it was designed and executed.
- Anglo-Saxon Manuscripts in Microfiche Facsimile (ASMMF) -- a project which makes available in microfiche nearly five hundred manuscripts containing Old English
- Bayeux Tapestry ... Included in "Secrets of the Norman Invasion," by Nick Austin.
- Byzantine and Medieval Links
- Byzantine Studies on the Internet
- The Byzantine Empire. An interesting compilation of texts, maps, and much more.
- Electronic Access to Medieval Manuscripts 3-year project to develop guidelines for encoding and storing catalog descriptions of medieval and Renaissance manuscripts in electronic form.
- Glossary of Medieval Art and Architecture.
- Images of Medieval Art and Architecture. the purpose of this site is to promote education and research in Medieval art and architecture.
- Internet Medieval Sourcebook. From Fordham University.
- Labyrinth: Resources for Medieval Studies. a global information network providing free, organized access to electronic resources in medieval studies through a World Wide Web server at Georgetown University.
- Mediterranean Studies -- an interdisciplinary annual devoted to the study of the Mediterranean region from the beginnings to the present (cosponsored with the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth, and the University of Kansas)
- Online Resource Book for Medieval Studies (ORB) is a cooperative effort on the part of scholars across the internet to establish an online textbook source for medieval studies on the web.
- Oxford Dictionary of the Middle Ages (ODMA) -- a major new reference tool for all key aspects of European history, society, religion, and culture, c.500 to c.1500. This massive 1,000,000-word, 9,000-entry long book will take approximately five years to complete
- Roman Byzantine Sites
- Salisbury Project
- TEAMS Middle English Texts. Created by the Consortium for the Teaching of the Middle Ages
- Les Tres Riches Heures du Duc de Berry