Scanning & Printing Services
Guidelines for Scanning & Printing:
- Requests from outside the University community will not be accepted.
- Jobs from faculty, students, and staff must meet one or more of the following criteria: (1) works made for classroom use, (2) for poster sessions (3) Science, Society, and the Arts or other conference presentations, and/or (4) Capstone projects.
- There will be a 48 hour turnaround for these services. Printing and scanning will take place Monday through Friday during the academic year.
- Copyright compliance will be the responsibility of the user. Clients will be asked to sign a statement accepting responsibility for adhering to University Copyright Policy. The University Library staff reserves the right to refuse to accept any scanning or printing request if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
- Questions about these services should be directed to Elizabeth Anne Teaff, University Library’s Access Services Manager.
Design Help & Set-up:
- Members of the University Library and ITS Staff will be available by appointment Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., to assist in the design phase of projects. Contact Elizabeth Anne Teaff to schedule an appointment. During each appointment, clients will be briefed on cost structure, required software, resolution, coloration, and general appearance of the work they are creating.
- The available software for graphic design will be Microsoft Publisher and PowerPoint and Adobe CS.
Both Mac and PC computers will be available for use.
- There will be no charge for this assistance.
- Directions on using Publisher to create a poster.
- Directions on using Powerpoint to create a poster.
- Sources for Images:
American Memory Library of Congress
AP Photo Archive
Printing Policies & Pricing:
- Submissions for printing will be accepted from CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, flash/thumb/USB drive, and Sakai.
To upload an poster to Sakai: (1) Login (2) Go to "My Workspace" (3) Select "Membership" (3) Select "Poster Printing Drop Box" (4) Go to the folder with your name and click "Add" and "Upload Files."
- The following file formats will be accepted: jpg, tiff, or PDF, as well as, images from the following software programs: Adobe Photoshop, MS Publisher, MS PowerPoint, or Adobe Acrobat.
- Clients are encouraged to speak with University Library and/or ITS Staff prior to printing for training in preparing items. Contact Elizabeth Anne Teaff to schedule an appointment to setup a time to meet with one of our staff members.
- Printing services will be assessed at the rate of $15.00 for standard posters (up to 30” by 42”) and $20.00 for larger items.
- Departments wishing to print posters for advertising purposes, will be assessed at the rate of $30 per poster. A $5 fee will be added to the standard poster price if the due date for the poster is the same day the poster printing request is made.
- Individuals who place jobs to be printed, but fail to claim or pay for this service, will have a fee of $20.00 charged to their University account.
- Jobs that fail to meet client expectations will still be charged, unless University Library or ITS Staff was working with the client and they approved the file for printing.
- Printed items may be picked up at the Information Desk of the Leyburn Library. Cash, check, and/or General Debit will be accepted. Departmental Charges will be billed quarterly to the appropriate University account.
Scanning Policies & Pricing:
- The University Library has two large format scanners:
one scanner for delicate and fragile items and one for maps and other large documents.
- To use either scanner, items must be larger that 8½” x 11”. Small items may be scanned using one of the many available campus scanners. The Leyburn Library has several scanning stations on the Main Floor.
- Items to be scanned may be dropped off at the Information Desk of the Leyburn at any time. We will have a turnaround time of 2 business days.
- Scanned images will be saved to CD/DVD, clients’ flash/thumb/USB drive, or the web. Images posted to the web will be removed 24 hours after completion of scanning. The University Library has flash drives that may be checked out for a period of 24 hours, or that may be used transport images.
- In cases of large, on going scanning projects fee may be assessed at a rate of $8.00 per hour. Cash, check, and/or General Debit will be accepted. Departmental Charges will be billed quarterly to the appropriate University account.