Borrowing Policies for W&L Students, Faculty, and Staff
- W&L Undergraduate Students:
may check books out for the undergraduate term. The due date is the last day
of exams for that term. During the summer months, the check out period is three months.
- W&L Law Students: While the Law School is in session, W&L Law students may check books out
for the current Law term. After the end of law classes in May, the checkout
period is three months.
- W&L Faculty & Staff:
may check out books from our regular collection for the entire academic year.
Videos & DVDs
- Videos and DVDs are checked out for three
and carry a fine of $1.00 per day if returned late.
- CDs are available for a seven day check out.
- Books on Tape and CD have the same check out period as printed books.
- Reserve Items circulate for 2, 4, or 24 hours according to the specifications of the faculty member who has placed them in this collection.
- W&L Faculty, Staff, and Students may check out bound periodicals and reference items for a period of 24 hours. No Renewals will be allowed. Fines will be charged for late material and lost items will be billed at a cost of $1000.00 each. Please bring this material to the Information Desk of Leyburn to check out.
- Items from Special Collections, microfilm, and newspapers may not leave the University Library.
All Books are subject to recall two weeks after date of check-out.
Items may be renewed online or by calling 540.458.8643. Items may not be
renewed if they have been requested by another person.
Books may be
renewed three times.
Videos & DVDs
may be renewed twice.
Music CDs may
be renewed three times.
Fines will be charged for late retuns on videos and DVDs, recalled items, and materials on Reserve.
Videos & DVDs $1.00 per day
- Reserve materials $1.00 per hour
- Recalled materials $1.00 each day late
Long overdue items will be billed. The bill will reflect the replacement cost and there may be also be a billing fee of $5.00 per item. The billing fee must be paid even if the item is returned.
W&L Undergraduate students with fines totaling $50.00 or more may be blocked from registering for classes or from obtaining transcripts until the fines have been paid.
Food For Fines: Undergrad students can pay their overdue fines with canned goods. The items will be donated to W&L’s Campus Kitchens project.
$1-5 in Fines = 2 cans
- $6-10 in Fines = 4 cans
- $11-20 in Fines = 8 cans
- $20-50 in Fines = 16 cans
This arrangement applies only to current W&L students; and lost library materials must be paid for with cash, check, General debit, or charge.
View Your Library Account to see a list of materials you have checked-out. Contact the Information Desk 540.458.8643 if you have further questions.