Resources for Genealogical Research
RESOURCES SPECIFIC TO WASHINGTON AND LEE UNIVERSITY SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
- George West Diehl Genealogical Collection
- Washington and Lee/Rockbridge Historical Society Manuscripts Collection
- Rockbridge Historical Society Miscellaneous Collection
- Washington and Lee Miscellaneous Collection
- Withrow Scrapbooks. 20 vols. Has card index file.
- Tompkins Scrapbooks. 7 vols. Has card index file.
- To access our large collection in rare books of family genealogies, county histories, town histories, church histories, etc.,use the Washington and Lee University Libraries Online Catalog.
ROCKBRIDGE COUNTY - SELECTED PUBLISHED SOURCES
- Henry Boley, Lexington in Old Virginia (1936) RARE F 234 L 5 B 6
- A. Maxim Coppage III, comp., Rockbridge County Virginia Notebook (compiled from articles written by Dr. George West Diehl in the Lexington newspaper) RARE F 232 R 68 D 48
- Winifred Hadsel, Roads of Rockbridge County (1993) RARE F 232 R 68 H 33 1993
- Winifred Hadsel, The Streets of Lexington (1985) RARE F 234 L 5 H 33 1985
- James W. McClung, Historical Significance of Rockbridge County Virginia (1939) RARE F 232 R 6.8 M 2
- Oren F. Morton, A History of Rockbridge County, Virginia (originally published 1920) RARE F 232 R 68 M 9 1980
- Proceedings of the Rockbridge Historical Society. 10 vols. (1939-1989) RARE F 232 R 6.8 R 6
- James L. Douthat, comp., Rockbridge County, Va.: Deed Book B, 1788-1793. RARE F 232 R 68 D 6
- Dorthie and Edwin Kirkpatrick, comps., Rockbridge County Births, 1853-1877. 2 vols. RARE F 232 R 68 K 56 1988
- Dorthie and Edwin Kirkpatrick, comps., Rockbridge County Marriages, 1778-1850. RARE F 232 R 68 K 57
- Marie A. Morisset, comp., Abstracts of Rockbridge County, Va.: Volume I, Deed Book A, 1778-1788. RARE F 232 R 68 M 84 1987 v. 1
- Louise M. Perkins, comp., Rockbridge County Marriages, 1851-1885. RARE F 232 R 68 P 46 1989
- Angela M. Ruley, comp., Rockbridge County Virginia: Death Register, 1853-1870: Death Certificates, 1912-1917. Rare F 232 R 68 R 86 1991
- William Couper, comp., Jackson Memorial Cemetery Survey Complete to 1960. RARE F 232 R 68 C 85
- Allen G. Hamann, ed., Cemetery Notes from the Timber Ridge Presbyterian Church. RARE F 232 R 68 H 3 1992
- New Monmouth Presbyterian Church [Records]. Microfilm - 5 reels. In Microfilm Section of Reference Area at BX 9211 V 5 N 48. Included in these records are tombstone inscriptions.
- Frances Rudolph, comp., Inscriptions From Cemeteries in Augusta and Rockbridge Counties, Virginia (1953). Microfilm. 1 reel. In Microfilm section of Reference area at F 232 A 9 R 8 1953
- Angela M. Ruley, comp., Rockbridge County Virginia Cemeteries: Volume 1: Kerrs Creek District. RARE F 232 R 68 R 85 1989
- Census of Rockbridge County, Virginia, 1810-1880. Microfilm - 2 reels. In Microfilm section of Reference area at F 232 R 68 U 757. For census schedules up to 1920 see microfilm census records for Virginia at HA 681 in the microfilm section.
- Rockbridge County (Va.) Courthouse Records. Microfilm. 65 reels. In Microfilm section of Reference Area at F 221 R 682. Has indexes.
ROCKBRIDGE COUNTY NEWSPAPERS
- Lexington Gazette (1835-1962) and Lexington News-Gazette (1962-present) are on microfilm in the newspaper microfilm section of the reference area. Microfilm reels of older issues of the Lexington Gazette are on reserve at the Circulation Desk. Selected years are now online.
- Rockbridge County News (1884-1962). Microfilm. In newspaper microfilm section of the reference area.
- Valley Star (1839-1862). Microfilm. In newspaper microfilm section of the reference area. For information on other Virginia newspapers see Lester Cappon, Virginia Newspapers, 1821-1935: A Bibliography with Historical Introduction and Notes. REF BIB Z 6952 V 8 C 24
SELECTED VIRGINIA RESOURCES
- Lester J. Cappon and Stella F. Duff, Virginia Gazette Index, 1736-1780. REF INDEXES. Filled with references to personal names. The Virginia Gazette microfilm is in the newspaper microfilm section of the Reference Area.
- Genealogical Research at the Virginia State Library (1986). REF CD 3564 V 574
- Genealogies of Virginia Families. 14 vols. published by the Genealogical Publishing Company of Baltimore, the nation's leading genealogical publisher. These are reprints of articles from the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography , The William and Mary Quarterly, and Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine. RARE F 225 G 46
- Lyndon H. Hart, III, A Guide to Genealogical Notes and Charts in the Archives Branch, Virginia State Library (1983). REF CD 3564 V 84
- Horace E. Hayden, Virginia Genealogies (1891) RARE F 225 H 41 1966
- Magazine of Virginia Genealogy, a periodical published by the Virginia Genealogical Society. Formerly titled Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly. RARE CS 42 V 5
- Carol McGinnis, Virginia Genealogy: Sources and Resources (1993) RARE F 225 M 36 1993
- William Meade, Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia (1857) RARE F 225 M 485
- Earl Gregg Swem, Virginia Historical Index. 2 vols. Coverage up to 1930 of the major Virginia historical publications. REF F 221 S 93
- Donald O. Virdin, Virginia Genealogies and Family Histories: A Bibliography of Books About Virginia Families (1990). RARE F 225 V 52 1990
- The Virginia Genealogist, a periodical published by John Frederick Dorman. RARE F 221 V 79
SELECTED GENERAL GENEALOGICAL RESOURCES
- Angus Baxter, In Search of Your British and Irish Roots: A Complete Guide to Tracing Your English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish Ancestors. RARE CS 414 B 38 1991
- Elizabeth Petty Bentley, County Courthouse Book. RARE KF 8700 A 19 B 46 1990
- Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Directory of Family Associations. RARE CS 42 B 46 1991
- Elizabeth Petty Bentley, The Genealogist's Address Book. RARE CS 44 B 46 1991. Contains names and addresses of genealogical societies and libraries with genealogical research holdings.
- Alice Eichholz, ed., Ancestry's Redbook: American State, County and Town Sources. REF CS 49 A 55 1989
- P. William Filby, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index. 3 vols. REF CS 68 P 363
- Genealogies Cataloged by the Library of Congress Since 1986 (1992). REF CS 47 L 5 1991. Extends Kaminkow's coverage.
- Val D. Greenwood, The Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy. 2nd ed. (1990). REF CS 47 G 73 1990
- Guide to Genealogical Research in the National Archives. REF CS 68 U 5 1982
- Marion J. Kaminkow, ed., Genealogies in the Library of Congress (1972). 2 vols. REF CS 69 U 53. Supplements extend coverage to 1986.
- Barbara McNeil, ed., Biography and Genealogy Master Index (1994). REF CT 100 B 56 1994. Latest edition kept at Reference Desk.
- Debra L. Newman, Black History: A Guide to Civilian Records in the National Archives. RARE E 185 N 576 1984
- Naomi Youel Nielsen collection of genealogical materials. Microfilm. 29 reels. In Microfilm section of Reference Area at CS 71 Y 5 1989. (This is a large collection of general genealogical interest; there are some connections to Rockbridge County. There is a finding aid in Special Collections.)
- Leslie G. Pine, The Genealogist's Encyclopedia (1969). RARE CS 9 P 48 1969b. A guide to genealogical research in British and other European records.
- Netti Schreiner-Yantis, Genealogical and Local History Books in Print. 4th ed. (1985) REF CS 47 G 45 1985. Supplements extend coverage to 1992.
Special Collections Librarian
Washington and Lee University