If library materials have a status of “available” and are on the shelf, users are asked to pull the materials themselves. The University Library staff will not pull library materials for users except in the following circumstances:
(1) User cannot physically access the stacks
(2) Books/DVDs are needed by undergrad faculty
(3) Books/DVDs are needed for course reserve or Sakai scanning (undergrad faculty only)
- W&L Undergraduate and Law Students may check books 3 months.
- W&L Faculty & Staff may check out books from our regular collection for one year.
Videos & DVDs
- Videos and DVDs are checked out for three days and carry a fine of $1.00 per day if returned late.
- CDs are available for a seven day check out.
- Books on CD have the same check out period as printed books.
- Reserve Items circulate for 2, 4, or 24 hours according to the specifications of the faculty member who has placed them in this collection.
- W&L Faculty, Staff, and Students may check out bound periodicals and reference items for a period of 24 hours. No Renewals will be allowed. Fines will be charged for late material and lost items will be billed at a cost of $1000.00 each. Please bring this material to the Information Desk of Leyburn to check out.
- Items from Special Collections, microfilm, and newspapers may not leave the University Library.
All Books are subject to recall two weeks after date of check-out. Items may be renewed online or by calling 540.458.8643. Items may not be renewed if they have been requested by another person.
- Books may be renewed three times.
- Videos & DVDs may be renewed twice.
- Music CDs may be renewed three times.
Fines will be charged for late returns.
- Videos & DVDs $1.00 per day
- Reserve material and technology items $1.00 per hour
- Recalled materials $1.00 each day late
- Long overdue items will be billed. The bill will reflect the replacement cost and there may be also be a billing fee of $5.00 per item. The billing fee must be paid even if the item is returned.
W&L Undergraduate students with fines totaling $50.00 or more may be blocked from registering for classes or from obtaining transcripts until the fines have been paid.
Food For Fines: Undergraduate students can pay their overdue fines with canned goods. The items will be donated to W&L’s Campus Kitchens project.
- $1-5 in Fines = 2 cans
- $6-10 in Fines = 4 cans
- $11-20 in Fines = 8 cans
- $20-50 in Fines = 16 cans
This arrangement applies only to current W&L students; and lost library materials must be paid for with cash, check, General debit, or charge.
View Your Library Account to see a list of materials you have checked-out. Contact the Information Desk 540.458.8643 if you have further questions.