About the Friends of the Library
The Friends of the Library supports the academic mission of Washington and Lee University through activities which strengthen the University Library’s collections and services. It encourages consideration of monetary and in-kind contributions, aims to foster closer relations between the library and the community and stimulate the intellectual life of the library users.
Benefits for Friends Members
- Invitations to all Friends of the Library events via email
- You will receive FOLIOS, the library’s magazine, twice a year
- Extended check-out privileges (contact Elizabeth Teaff, Head of Access Services)
- Limited interlibrary loan privileges (contact Elizabeth Teaff)
- One individualized bookplate dedicated to a person or pet of your choice (with minimum gift of $100)
- Note: All gifts to the Friends are tax-deductible.
- Use the online giving form to join/renew using a credit card.
- Select “Friends Fund for Leyburn Library” in the “Designation” drop-down list.
- Use the membership/donation form to join/renew by mail using a check.
All donations are tax-deductible.
Projects funded by the Friends of the Library
- Renovation of the Northen Lobby on level 1 of Leyburn Library: “Light It Up!” campaign, 2017-18. Partially funded by the Friends. Learn more about “Light It Up.”
- Subscriptions to online reference works, such as the Times Digital Archive, the Sunday Times Digital Archive, Morningstar Investment Research Center, and the McNaughton popular books lease plan.
- Perpetual access to the BBC Shakespeare Plays streaming video series
- Annual subscriptions to Research Databases. The following databases are available to alumni: Academic Search Complete Alumni Edition; Business Source Complete Alumni Edition; JSTOR Alumni database; and Project Muse. NOTE: Alumni need to have a Colonnade Connections login and password set up.
- Library patio furniture (tables, chairs and umbrellas)
Friends of the Library News & Events
Friends of the Library Board Members
Board Members for the 2017-20 Class
- Robert Gill ’71
- Suzanne Keen
- Dennis Cross
- Pamela Luecke
- Gerald Malmo ’79
- George Ray
- Michelle Treger P’20
Board Members for the 2018-21 Class
- Buddy Atkins ’68
- David Cox
- Preston Manning
- Lisa Moore
- Mame Warren
Board Members for the 2019-22 Class
- Barbra Buckner Higginbotham
- Janet Ikeda
- Roger Jeans
- Nancy McIntyre
- Yolanda Merrill
- Sam Wilmoth ’09
- KT Vaughan, University Librarian
last updated: July 2020
FOLIOS: The Magazine of the University Library
The University Library publishes its magazine FOLIOS twice a year. It is full of stories about the library and its collections. Members of the Friends of the Library will receive a hard copy of the magazine through the mail.
We archive the magazines in our Digital Archive. Browse all FOLIOS.
More Ways to Support the Library
- Use the online giving form to make a donation using a credit card.
- Select “Friends Fund for Leyburn Library” in the “Designation” drop-down list
- Use the membership/donation form to make a donation using a cheque.
- Support the Adopt a Piece of History preservation program.
Checks and donation forms may be sent to:
Friends of the Library
James G. Leyburn Library
Washington and Lee University
204 W. Washington Street
Lexington, VA 24450
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.