If you recently searched Annie, the Washington and Lee University catalog, you may have noticed colorful pictures in your search results.
The “colorful pictures,” such as these, are images of book jackets and video packaging and they are only the most conspicuous of several new features in Annie, available beginning 22 August 2007.
Most of these features are intended to provide you with additional information about the item you are viewing in Annie.
For example, if you click on a book cover or a DVD cover, you may see (depending upon their availability) links to a summary of the book or movie, a larger image of the cover, and sources of reviews. Here is an example.
These summaries and reviews behind the images are not intended as scholarly research resources, but simply as supplementary information for readers and viewers.
More substantive information may be available through the WebBridge button which accompanies each item in Annie.
Clicking on that button will lead you to several additional services, including:
• Recommended W&L resources – sources for finding additional (and, perhaps, more scholarly) reviews of an item
• More Like This in Annie – one or more recommended Library of Congress Subject Headings for finding additional items within the subject area
• Citation Services – an option to save the item’s citation to your own RefWorks account
• Book Information – possibilities for finding the text of an item online and/or locating another copy in a nearby library
• Faculty Only – an option to place an item on reserve for a course
• If an item is already checked out, you will see a Request Item button, which enables you to request that the item be returned for your use, within our circulation policies.
• When you are looking at a particular citation, please feel free to use the Get Help via Email and Get Help via Instant Messaging links on the right side of the screen. We don’t guarantee an immediate response, but we will get back to you as quickly as we can.
• You can use the Save to List button to copy an item’s citation to a list of items in which you are interested. Once you have clicked on this button at least once, you then will be able to see and use a View List option near the top of the Annie screen. (Note: This list will disappear once your Annie session is concluded.)
If you have questions or problems, you can contact David Badertscher (x8657), Head of Technical Services.