The University Library offers data manipulation and statistical support services to students, faculty and staff for assistance throughout the various phases of quantitative research projects.
Retired Data Support Specialist Carol Hansen Karsch worked with Professor Blunch, co-authoring an on-line resource, The W&L Guide to Stata, which economics students find invaluable while working on their projects.
Once a source has been identified, the library can provide on-going support such as, but not limited to:
- using documentation to verify the usefulness of data for a specific project
- acquiring data from the internet, government agencies, databases subscribed to by the University Libraries, etc.
- importing data into Stata, SPSS or Excel
- converting data from one format to another, e.g., SPSS to Stata
- merging files from various sources to create a research data file
- manipulating file(s), such as reshaping panel data from horizontal to vertical
- creating new variables, including dummy variables
- recoding existing variables
- running regressions
- preparing tables, graphs and charts