Getting Library Materials
Suggest a Purchase
Request books, DVDs, or periodicals be purchased for the library’s collection.
Borrowing, Renewing, & Fines
The books in our library collections are shelved in call number order using the Library of Congress (LC) classification system. Materials in the U.S. Government Documents Depository collection on Level 4 are shelved by the Superintendent of Documents (SuDoc) classification system.
Materials in Leyburn Library
- MAIN FLOOR: current periodicals, newspapers, reference collection, DVDs, music CDs, & books on CD (arranged by call number)
- LOWER LEVEL 1: books with call numbers A through BQ
- LOWER LEVEL 2: books with call numbers BR through F
- Most BF items are in Telford Science Library
- LOWER LEVEL 3: books with call numbers G through PQ
- LOWER LEVEL 4: books with call numbers PR through Z, all books labeled Folio, bound volumes of journals & magazines (alphabetically by title), government documents, & VHS tapes (by call number)
- Most Q-TP items are in Telford Science Library
Materials in Telford Science Library
- LEVEL 3: reference collection & call numbers A through QA
- LEVEL 4: reference collection & call numbers QB through Z (including books labeled Folio)
View Your Library Account
Request Materials from Law Library (Faculty Only)
- Request Materials from Law Library (Faculty only)
Off-Campus Database Access
Computers & Technology
Borrow Technology Items
- Library technology for check-out (Current W&L Faculty, Staff, & Students Only)
- Leyburn Library, Main Floor
- Macs and PCs for student/faculty use are avaiable in the Inovation Lab. Several computers have attached scanners. PCs have Adobe CS, statistical software, Microsoft Office, etc. and dual monitors. The Macs have iMovie, Adobe CS, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Computers are available for guest access near the Information Desk. No username or password needed.
- Leyburn Library, Lower Level 3
- A student Mac computing lab is located on Lower Level 3. Each computer has dual monitors.
Additional Computing Resources
- The locked study rooms in Leyburn Library are wired for access to the campus network, and other study rooms on those floors are similarly wired.
- Additional computing labs are available on campus. Call 540.458.4357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Wireless access is available in both Leyburn and Telford Science Libraries, although some areas have better access than others.
Printing & Scanning
BizHub Multi-Function Print Devices
Basic Instructions on how to scan and print using the BizHub Multi-Function Print Devices are located by each BizHub machine. Contact ITS Help Desk (540.458.8645) for more information. There are a number of Biz-Hubs located in Leyburn Library (three on the main floor and one on the first floor). The Telford Science Library has a Biz-Hub on the main floor near the Circulation Desk. Log-in Instructions:
- W&L Students: Swipe your ID card or use the last 7 digits of your student ID as your Access Code. Your account will be charged for photocopies, no charge for scans.
- W&L Departments: use assigned Access Code. Contact Copying Services @ 540.458.8448 to set-up code.
- All Others: request Access Code @ the Information Desk. Black & White ($0.10 per page) / Color ($0.50 per page) / Pay @ the Information Desk.
Student Printing Charges:
Copies made with student IDs are charged to students’ personal accounts. Once the subsidy is depleted, students will incur a charge each month for the output created that month. To check your printing balance email: email@example.com If you think you may have been over-charged for printing, state the month(s) in which you believe you were over-charged in the body of the email.
There are two microfilm machines located on the main floor of Leyburn Library. They may be used by W&L faculty, staff, students, and visitors. One machine (Minolta MS 6000) prints black & white ($0.10 per page). Pay for the print-outs at the Information Desk.
One machine (ST View Scan III) creates PDFs, JPEGs, and TIFFs. Files may be saved to W&L network, cloud storage, or USB.
For assistance inquire at the Information Desk.
VCRs in Leyburn Library
- VCRs are located in Northen Auditorium (Level 1), Room 201 and Room 220 (Level 2)
- Leyburn, M47 has auxiliary hookups for a VCR (or any video device). To request a VCR for M47 firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540.458.4357.
- A multi-region DVD player is available in the Video Editing Suite (M39).
Fax Machines (W&L Students, Faculty, & Staff Only)
- There is no fax machine in the library for public use.
- Inquire at the email@example.com to get help with sending or receiving faxes.
- Printing: Computers for guest use located near the Information Desk in the Leyburn Library. Printing costs $0.10 a page (black and white only).
- Guest computers are located on each floor of both Leyburn Library and Telford Science Library. They are available for public use. No login required.
- Make Room Reservations in Leyburn Library
Locked Studies, Carrels, & Lockers
- Request Studies & Carrels (Leyburn and Telford)
Individual and Group Study Spaces
Faculty Teaching Support
Services for Faculty
- Request Library Instruction for your class
Request VCRs & Projectors through ITS
Only select films have been purchased by the University Library with Public Performance Rights (PPR) licenses and may be shown outside of the university classroom.
- A Public Performance is any performance of a videocassette, DVD, videodisc, or film which occurs outside of the home, or at any place where people are gathered who are not family members, such as in a school or library. In most cases titles purchased or leased by the library from video and retail outlets are restricted to “home use only” and do not include public performance rights. Additionally, in most cases, admissions should not be charged.
- View ALL FILMS with Public Performance Rights in W&L University Library’s collection.
- If the film you wish to show, as part of a public performance, is not included in this list, please contact the university library to determine if the film is available for a showing in a non-classroom setting. Please note that we need at least one week lead-time to investigate options and not all films allow PPR.
- For more info on PPR, read Washington and Lee University Policy for the Use of Copyrighted Works.
Alumni Access to Databases
The following databases are available to alumni: Academic Search Complete Alumni Edition, Business Source Complete Alumni Edition, JSTOR Alumni database, and Project Muse.
NOTE: Alumni need to have a Colonnade Connections login and password set up.
Services for Retired/Faculty Staff
Retired faculty and staff are welcome to use our print collection and request interlibrary loan materials. Please contact Elizabeth Teaff to make ILL requests.
Student Employment @ the University Library
The University Library employs both work-study and payroll students.
- Work-study students are placed in the library by Financial Aid. Please inquire with their office for more information.
- Payroll students are hired by the library as needed. When payroll jobs are available they may be advertised in Campus Notices.
Honors Theses in the University Library
Information about depositing Honors Thesis in the University Library.
Easels for Check-Out
Leyburn Library has approximately 90 easels available for 24 hour checkout. To reserve them, email Elizabeth Anne Teaff at the University Library.
Lost & Found
Leyburn Library: Items found in Leyburn are held at the Information Desk on the main floor. Items of value (laptops, backpacks,etc.) left unattended may be picked up by library staff and brought to the Information Desk for safe-keeping. Please contact the Information Desk 540.458.8643 if you have lost something in Leyburn.
Telford Science Library: Items found in Telford are held at the Circulation Desk on the 3rd floor the Science Library. Items of value (laptops, backpacks, etc.) left unattended may be picked up by library staff and brought to the Circulation Desk for safe-keeping. Please contact the Circulation Desk 540.458.8111 if you have lost something in the library.
NOTE: Lost and found items from Leyburn and Telford Libraries will be emptied/donated on the 1st of every month. Stop by the Information/Circulation Desk in either library to check for your lost items before they are removed.
Library Services FAQ
Vist our Library FAQs