University Library Carrels
- The University Library has approximately 500 carrels which can be reserved for use by individuals (current Washington and Lee University students/faculty) for the entire academic year (Leyburn: one carrel per student or faculty member/Telford: two students per carrel).
- Students may have a carrel in either Leyburn or Telford, but not both locations.
- Students may not check-out carrels on behalf of others.
- There is no fee to check-out a carrel.
- Carrels must be checked-out immediately after retrieval of carrel paperwork.
- Demand for carrels may exceed the supply, students are advised to register for a carrel during the first week of Fall Term.
- Hot plates, coffee pots, candles, or open flames of any kind are not allowed in the University Library.
- For your protection, do not leave items of value in your carrel (e.g. textbooks, laptops, wallets, etc.).
In Leyburn Library, carrel registration begins when the library opens on the first day of classes. To claim a carrel in Leyburn, select one on lower levels (1, 2, 3, or 4). All available carrels will have slips of paper with carrel numbers assigned to them. Bring the paper, along with your University I.D. card, to the Information Desk and the carrel will be checked out to you for the whole academic year.
In Telford Science, carrel registration begins when the library opens on the first day of classes. To claim a carrel in Telford, select one on levels 3 or 4. All available carrels will have slips of paper with carrel numbers assigned to them. Bring the paper, along with your University I.D. card, to the Circulation Desk and the carrel will be checked out to you for the whole academic year. Due to demand carrels in Science are assigned two students per a carrel.
Leyburn Library Locked Studies
Leyburn Library has 31 locked studies. They are assigned according to the following priorities and time periods:
- Seniors willing to share a study space and/or those writing honors theses. Assigned for the academic year.
- Faculty members doing research. Assigned on a one-term basis.
- Upperclassmen with projects requiring extensive library research. Assigned on a one-term basis.
University Library Student Lockers
The University Library has lockers for student use.
Main Floor of Leyburn: Lockers in these locations are are intended for short-term (24 hours or less) use. To lock and unlock enter a four digit code of your choosing.
Leyburn 2nd and 4th Floors: There are 24 lockers with keys. Keys can be checked-out from the Information Desk on a term by term basis.